Sarah (sleam) Leamy was a boring shy tomboy who suddenly left her English life and became a bit of a wanderer, street performer and writer. As a socially awkward and insecure Brit abroad, she lived first in Europe and then crossed the States and into Guatemala, performing, writing and working odd jobs as she explored new countries alone or with her dogs. She finally settled in New Mexico in her late twenties although she’s still taking extended road trips when she can.
Sarah is the author of four award winning books, When No One’s Looking (Elequent Press), Lucky Shot (SBG), Lucky Find (Blue Mesa Books) and Van Life. Her next book, Hidden, a narrative persona poem, is coming out in March 2021 with Finishing Line Press. Other work is in Los Angeles Review, Bunbury Review, Hunger Mountain, Santa Fe Project Quarterly, Devil’s Party Press, Dune Review, and Best Emerging Poets of NM amongst others. She has just finished working on a new hybrid memoir, Stay, with Lidia Yuknavitch. Her collection of short stories, Passing Through, is under consideration at a University Press. The novel, Drifters, set in London’s squats of 1993 is looking for a pubisher.
Sarah is a PhD researcher/student at University of Birmingham, England, writing about Ambiguity: In Search of Androgynous Narratives. She presents at various colleges and conferences on writing from a gender-queer perspective. She is passionate about sharing the importance, the craft, validation and loves these conversations about representing outsider experiences through storytelling.
Sarah is the founder and managing editor of http://www.wanderlust-journal.com.
She is also a freelance writer for Land Rover and travel magazines in the US and UK, in print and online. Sarah is on the editorial team for upstreet.
Various essays have been in published over the years, most recently for the Los Angeles Review Online. She also writes book reviews and interviews authors, found on Hunger Mountain and Santa Fe Writer’s Project amongst others. Sarah is Assistant Non-Fiction Editor at upstreet.
Passing Through, a collection of shorts, is set along the Continental Divide, and offers sketches of connection and disconnection, the tension between locals and newcomers in the Southwest. (Out with various publishers under review.)
New Mexico is home for her although she also has a deep connection with the Vermont Writing Community, VCFA and the Corporeal Writing Center in Portland, Oregon.
For more detailed information, click on the Press Kit page above.
Headshot/Featured Photo Credit: Eric Cousineau Fine Art Photography. c. 2019.
- PhD Creative Writing. University of Birmingham. UK. (2020-2024)
- MFA in Writing/Publishing. Vermont College of Fine Arts, Montplier, VT. USA. (2017-2019)
- BA (honours) European Languages and Literature: German and Geography. Queen Mary College, London University, UK. (1985-1989)
- Freiburg University, Freiburg, Germany, (as part of QMC program), (1987-1988)
- Documentary Photography Internship. Pimlico Media Centre, London, UK, (1992-1993)
- Full Teaching Fellowship, Arizona State University Writing Conference (Feb 2021)
- Merit Scholarship MFA Writing, VCFA (Spring 2019)
- Teaching Fellowship, Arizona State University Writing Conference (Feb 2019)
- Post Graduate Writer’s Conference Scholarship (2018)
- Mentor for AWP Writer to Writer Program. (Fall 2018)
- Reader/Presenter. University of South Dakota Writer’s Conference. (Fall 2018)
- Merit scholarship for MFA in Writing. (Fall 2018)
- Finalist for Writing By Writers Residency (Spring 2018)
- Vermont Book Award Fellowship (2017-2018)
- Director’s Award, Vermont College of Fine Art (2017-2018)
- Van Life: Travelogue. Best Nonfiction/Grand Winner. Great Northwest Book Contest (2017)
- Van Life: Travelogue. Finalist. AZ/NM Book Awards. (2017)
- When No One’s Looking (Eloquent Books): Best Gay Fiction AZ/NM Book Awards (2016)
- Lucky Find (Blue Mesa Books): Finalist in Best Gay Fiction AZ/NM Book Awards (2013)
- Lucky Shot (SBG Press): Novel, Best Gay Fiction AZ/NM Book Awards (2012)
- Lucky Shot: Finalist for Royal Dragonfly Contest (2012)
- Hidden. Chapbook. Finishing Line Press. (March 2021)
- Eight Years. Los Angeles Review. (Oct 2020)
- Application Report. Dunes Review. (Spring 2020)
- Saved by a Trout. WSOF Anthology. Devils Party Press. (Fall 2019)
- Letting Go in Russia. 200 Word Short Story (2018)
- Best Emerging Poets of NM anthology. (Fall 2019)
- When No One’s Looking, Elequent Press. (2010)
- Lucky Shot, SBG.(2014)
- Lucky Find, Blue Mesa Books. (2016)
- Van Life. (2019)
Freelance Publications include:
- Rovers North: regular columnist/ profiles (2018-2019)
- Wanderlust-Journal.com:writer, editor, social media, web developer (2018-ongoing)
- Hunger Mountain Journal: interviews and reviews (2017-8)
- Classic Land Rover: photographer, profiles, columnist, (2017-8)
- Land Rover Owners International. (2017-8)
- Madrid Artist Quarterly. (2015-8)
- The Examiner.com. (2016)
- The Eldorado Sun, NM. (2005)
- Circus News, CA. (2008)
- Madison Edge WI. (1995)
- The Pink Paper London. (1993)
- Documentary Photography shows, Albuquerque, Santa Fe, and London. (1992-ongoing)
- Piper Writing Center. ASU. Gender Queer Flash. (Fall 2020)
- Creative Writing Mentor and Coach, Fiction/Non-fiction. (2018-ongoing)
- Madrid Writing Group. NM. Fiction/Revision. (2018-2019)
- Teaching Fellowship, ASU Writing Conference. Ungendered Narrators. (Feb 2019
- Presenter, VCFA. Challenging gender stereotypes in narrative voices. VT. (Summer 2019)
- Instructor/ Panelist. Northwest Overland Rally in Washington State. (2016-2017)
- Instructor/ Panelist. Overland Expo West in Arizona. (2016-2017)
- Workshops in Clowning/ Circus/ Vaudeville/ Juggling in NM, MI, and CA (1994-2010)
- Dolphin School, Santa Fe, NM. Photography. (1994-1995)
- CEO/Founder/Managing Editor at http://www.wanderlust-journal.com (2017-ongoing)
- Assistant Non-fiction Editor at Upstreet Journal (2017 – ongoing)
- Freelance Developmental Editor (2018- ongoing)
- Corporate Communications/Editor at DeployHub (2018- 2020)
- Editor/Web at Hunger Mountain Review (2017-18)
- New Mexico Small Business Development Center, NM, (2017)
- Community Writing Studio, Madrid, NM, 2019-ongoing
- Volunteer Mentor for AWP Writer to Writer Program, fall 2018
- Volunteer Writing Workshop leader, NM, fall 2018
- Clowning Around Project, Santa Fe, NM. 1999- 2008
- Santa Fe Community Theater, NM 1999-2003
- Engine House Theatre, Madrid, NM 2008- 2015
- Madrid Volunteer Firefighter, NM. 2011.