- Make a list of ten most important events in my life.
- Pick five from those and write them out again.
- Pick one that still resonates. Find the most climactic moment in that event.
- Write a paragraph from that moment.
- Start an essay with this paragraph. Think of how this weill taek the reader into a moment that is still important and complicated. Create a story as to why this image is important for you.
- Add details about the time, era, bigger picture that was going on around the event. The historical and cultural details.
- Write a micro essay daily.
- Focus on subjects you know nothing about.
- Trust the free-writing associations.
- Leap and play in the imagination.
- Start with sentences such as I don’t remember, I don’t know, I don’t understand how…
- Trust the words.
- One paragraph a day. Add to it if you like but get into the habit of focused free-writing.